Saturday, August 31, 2013

Top ten "Father" songs


Its Father’s Day in Australia on Sunday, and this is particularly special for me because it will be my first one as a parent.  My life is a lot more full on than it was pre children, but much more rewarding. In honour of this, I had to do a list of top father songs. To make it a bit easier, because there are a lot to choose from, I have restricted the list to songs that contain father/dad/papa in the titles – regardless of whether they are about parenthood or not. Hope you enjoy, this is a high calibre list of tracks!
 
10 - That Silver Haired Daddy of Mine – The Everly Brothers
A folk standard that has been covered by many is what we kick of today’s list with. I have put in the Everly Brothers version, but there are a host of them I could have gone with.

 

9 - My Father’s Eyes – Eric Clapton
Eric Clapton never met his father. In addition, he tragically lost his son at age four after falling out of an apartment window. Eric draws parallels between these in this track.


 

8 - Going About My Father’s Business – Paul Kelly
I think regular readers of this blog will know that I am a big Paul Kelly fan, and in the context of all the great songs that he has, this is probably one that hasn’t stood out as much for me, but its simple message of the way we repeat the sins of our parents does pack a punch.

 

7 - Daddy Sang Bass – Johnny Cash
Its sing along time – and there is a part for the whole family in this one!

 

6 - Papa Don’t Preach – Madonna
It might be every Dad’s nightmare that their young daughter comes home and announces that she is pregnant. Madonna manages to address this difficult topic and make a great 80’s pop song at the same time.

 

5- Good Rocking Daddy – Daddy Cool
I should probably award bonus points because the band has Daddy in the title, the song has Daddy in the title, the album has Daddy in the title, and the album also has another track with Daddy in the title. It’s a fun song, but of course it has nothing to do with fatherhood at all, its really just a boast about…well, have a listen and figure it out for yourselves.


and if that doesn’t do it for you, go with the other song off that album – Daddy Cool.


 
4- Don’t Cry Daddy – Elvis Presley
This song makes you realise how good Elvis’s voice actually was, a great ballad.

 

3- Daddy’s Gonna Make You a Star – Company of Strangers
Company of Strangers was a 90’s side project featuring James Reyne and Daryl Braithwaite, amongst others. This track was one of the best from that collaboration, a great song.

 

2- Father’s Day – Weddings, Parties, Anything

What a song! Would have loved to have put this one at number one, but couldn’t quite make room, although it came close. I am very lucky to be a happy marriage and have a stable family life, but for many Dad’s out there, with shared or limited custody of their children, this song is like an anthem. It is a songwriting masterpiece, check out this great verse:

What of the darling wife that once I had?
Well I'm pleased to say that she still talks to me
But I try not to think of what went wrong
Because if I say that i was right
She might say that she was right
And the only rights I care about are visiting rights, yeah
 

 
1- Father and Son – Cat Stevens

As I said, it takes a damn good song to beat Father’s Day to the top of this list, and that is exactly what we have here. Cat Stevens sums up generation gaps and communication difficulties between fathers and sons all in one short, but amazing track! Wow.


 

So that is my top ten song with father/dad in the title – what are your favourites?

2 comments:

  1. Ha - I've been working on a number of related lists recently in preparation for my imminent fatherhood (looking for some advice!). Hopefully will be sharing those with the world very soon... it's fair to say that a number of your choices feature highly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoying your series on parenting and fatherhood...keep the lists coming!!

    ReplyDelete